Love beachy texture and waves? Something about sea salt hair spray seems to give hair that extra “oomph” when it comes to volume, and also hold curl better all day long.
But paying $20+ for a bottle that’s practically just saltwater? …Yeah freaking right! Turns out you can make this product with only 4 inexpensive ingredients. Beach hair spray for a negligé/wild look in your hair is an easy DIY that won’t cost you much — no need to sell seashells by the sea shore. Here’s the recipe that will reveal the mermaid in you!
- 1 cup warm water (for spraying)
- 1 tablespoon sea salt (for texturizing)
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil or argan oil or coconut oil** (for moisturizing)
- 4-5 drops essential oil (for smelling yummy — use your favorite oil or a mixture)
You’ll also want to have a nice spray bottle ready to go. I used this glass bottle from Amazon.
A few other optional modifications:
- Dry hair: If your hair is dry and you’d like a little extra moisture, add in an extra teaspoon or two of the oil.
- Oily hair: If your hair is too oily, then I’d go light on the oil and just use 1 teaspoon.
- Curly/styled hair: If you want to really “set” or hold a style in place, you can add in a teaspoon or two of hair gel. (Otherwise, I’ll sometimes just use a bit of regular hair spray after styling my hair.)
IMPORTANT NOTE: Coconut oil’s melting point is 76 degrees. So if you store this in a place cooler than that, the coconut oil will solidify a bit. I’d recommend using olive oil or argan oil if that’s the case. Or you can also just store the jar on a sunny window sill or warm it up for a few seconds in the microwave before using.
- Begin by heating the water until comes to a simmer, and then stirring in the salt until it is completely dissolved.
- Whisk in the coconut oil and a few drops of the essential oil.
- Then pour it into your bottle and give it a good shake.
- Spray it all over your hair while it’s still wet. Blow it dry & style it!
How to Use It
If you have thick, wavy hair, spray on damp hair and scrunch with a towel to dry for loose beach waves. If you don’t have time to shampoo, or if you have fine hair, spray on dry hair and loosely twirl your hair into a bun. After 10 – 15 minutes, let your hair uncurl, and voilà!