Ever find yourself super excited about your new lingerie, but when you put it on, it looks nothing like the model’s pictures that were wearing it? You’re not alone and a come frustration women have when purchasing lingerie online. Without being able to try it on first, you won’t know how it’ll look on your figure. We’re here to help with these tips on how to wear lingerie the right way.
Tips for Picking Out Lingerie
- Buy it cheap if it’s for a bedroom surprise. Your special someone is going to rip it right off you.
- If you’re self-conscious about your stomach, you can get babydoll lingerie that covers the area.
- Wear heels. It’ll help complete your posture & complete the look giving you that model-type pose.
- You know what color you look best in, but you can never go wrong with black or red lingerie.
- If something looks missing, add a necklace or collar.
- Don’t throw out the box. If there are a million strings, you’re going to have to look at the picture to figure out how you’re supposed to put it on.
Picking Lingerie for Body Types
Wearing lingerie the right way really depends on the body type you have. If you get lingerie that doesn’t compliment your body type, you’ll never be happy with it. Here are some tips on picking out lingerie for different body types.
- Hourglass Body Type – If you have a narrow waist and shoulders that are the same width as your hips, you can emphasize your figure with lingerie that highlights your waist. Shop for teddies, corsets, garter belts, and v-cut undies.
- Athletic Body Type – If you have shoulders and hips that are the same width and a waist that doesn’t taper in, you’re sure to love corsets, bustiers, and camisoles that define your waist and create a shape.
- Triangle Body Type – If you have narrower shoulders and curvy hips, teddies, matching set, and v-cut undies will show off your amazing figure! If you’re looking to create balance, draw attention to your upper body with a push-up bra or bustier.
- Inverted Triangle Body Type – If you have shoulders that are wider than your hips, a bodysuit is your best friend. Layer a sheer kimono over top and you’ll balance your shape and elongate your body.
- Curvy Body Type – If you have a full bust and hips, you’re sure to rock lingerie that emphasizes your shape. Create a smooth silhouette with shapewear or show off what you got with a matching set.
Common Mistakes Wearing Lingerie
- Don’t wear lacy lingerie under tight pants, slim turtlenecks or bright colors. It creates a certain roughness on the fabric, and people might notice what kind of bra you’re wearing. The uneven surface of your clothes might ruin the aesthetics of your overall look.
Do choose seamless bras instead. Another great option is to wear a wire-free seamless contour bra.
- Don’t buy lingerie that’s smaller than your size. Women do this in an attempt to look like the girls on covers of magazines.
Do choose smooth lingerie and bras that fit your shape and size.
- Don’t wear a black bra under a white blouse. This is no longer in trend and considered to be tacky and inappropriate.
Do wear flesh-colored lingerie for then fabric blouses and white pants.
- Don’t go braless. Even when you’re at home. This will stretch out your breast ligaments.
Do wear a sports bra or some other kind of bra you’re comfortable in to help avoid sagging breasts.
- Don’t buy lingerie that’s 100% cotton. Though comfortable, they stretch out very quickly and tear apart.
Do buy lingerie that’s a good blend of cotton and elastane. Something like 80% cotton and 20% elastane will do the trick.
- Don’t wear thongs all the time. They can irritate the skin and cause bacterial growth.
Do switch to more comfortable styles from time to time.
- Don’t mismatch your top and bottom. It’s normally tacky and avoids getting the effect you want from sexy lingerie.
Do wear the same colors, fabric, and patterns to make your look harmonious and elegant.
Above all, lingerie should make you feel sexy, empowered, and proud of your body! Don’t waste another moment being intimidated by the intimates section. Use these tips to find undergarments that fit your personal style and body type and you’re sure to go from fearful to fabulous!